Cozy Peppermint Mocha
A decadent, better than Starbucks peppermint mocha chocolate coffee made a lot cheaper and in your favorite mug.
Prep Time2 mins
Cook Time5 mins
Servings: 4 cups
- 2 cups strong coffee or 2 cups water + 4 tsp instant coffee granules
- 2 cups milk
- 4 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1.7 oz quality dark chocolate 50g
- 1/2 tsp peppermint extract
- 1 tsp vanilla extract optional
- pinch salt
- whipped cream for serving, optional
Up to a simmer: Add strong coffee, milk (or water + 4 tsp instant coffee granules), sugar and unsweetened cocoa powder in a medium saucepan. On medium heat, stir and bring up to a simmer.
Melt chocolate and extracts: Add a pinch of salt and dark chocolate chunks. If needed, reduce temperature as to avoid burning the chocolate. Stir until chocolate is melted and combined with the liquid. Pour in the vanilla and peppermint extracts*.
Enjoy: Pour into either 4 small or 2-3 larger cups. Whip some heavy cream and dollop on top! Serve with crushed candy canes or a whole candy cane for a beautiful and tasty garnish!
Did you make this recipe? Tag @thegingerwithspice on Instagram, I'd love to see!
* If you want a stronger peppermint flavor, feel free to add more extract, but a little peppermint goes a long way. You can also add a peppermint syrup. You can also up the game by adding homemade fluffy peppermint marshmallows to the drink!
Calories: 176 | Fat: 6.2g | Saturated Fat: 3.8g | Protein: 5.5g | Carbohydrate: 28g | Fiber 0.9g | Cholesterol: 10mg | Sodium: 99mg | Vitamin D: 1mcg | Calcium: 151mg | Iron: 1mg | Potassium: 172mg
Nutrition information is an estimate and is provided for informational purposes only. If you have any specific dietary concerns, please consult with your healthcare practitioner.