Hot Mulled Apple Cider (Eplegløgg)
Hot Mulled Apple Cider is a hot spiced drink with real apples, cooked over low heat for a long time to really infuse those warm autumn spices.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time3 hrs
Total Time3 hrs 10 mins
Servings: 8 cups
- 520 gr apples cored, quartered. Around 5 apples
- 1 orange zest and juice, avoid white rind
- 2 cinnamon sticks or 1 tsp ground
- 1 tsp whole allspice or 1 tsp ground
- 1 tsp whole cloves or 3/4 tsp ground
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg preferably freshly grated
- 1 star anis optional
- 2 liter water 8 cups
- 120 gr brown sugar or to taste
Cut apples into quarters. Leave out seeds and stems. Zest your orange, avoid the bitter white rind, and juice it.
Add the orange zest, orange juice and apples into a large pot along with all the spices. Cover with water. Let it all come to a boil, while stirring occasionally. Cover and reduce to simmer, for 2 hours.
Then you mash the apples with a potato masher or a spatula, give it a good stir and simmer for 1 more hour. Pour the mixture through a sieve and add sugar. Add sugar in smaller batches and taste as you go to find your sweet spot.
Enjoy this hot mulled apple cider hot. Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
Did you make it? Tag @thegingerwithspice on Instagram, I'd love to see!
Author: Stine Mari from Ginger with Spice