Vegan Thai Lemongrass Noodle Soup
Spicy from the green curry paste and chilis, creamy from the coconut milk, hearty and filling from the noodles and a few crunchy elements such as sugar snap peas and toasted coconut.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time30 mins
Servings: 3 people
Vegan Thai Lemongrass Soup
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1 yellow onion or 2 green onions
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp vegan green curry paste *
- 1 stem lemongrass crushed and minced, around 2-3 tbsp
- 1-2 tbsp ginger finely chopped
- 1 red chili finely chopped
- 1 can light coconut milk 14 oz./400 ml
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp palm sugar
- 1/2 lime juice only
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 6 dl vegetable broth almost 2,5 cups
- 100 gr sugar snap peas cut in half
- 1 tsp oyster sauce optional, only if not vegan!
- 230 gr noodles vermicelli for vegan, egg noodles if not
- handful fresh cilantro chopped
- 1 scallion chopped
- handful coconut flakes toasted
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
Begin with chopping up the ingredients. Smash the lemongrass stem with the pestle (from your mortar and pestle), and cut it into tiny pieces. Chop the other ingredients finely, apart from the snow peas. I cut them in half, I wanted the crunch, but not overpowering.
Heat canola oil in a soup pot over medium high heat. Add the onions and sauté for 6-7 minutes. Once translucent and a few brown pieces, add in the garlic, curry paste*, lemongrass and ginger. Stir one more minute.
In another bowl, whisk together the coconut milk, soy sauce, oyster sauce (only for non-vegans), palm sugar, lime juice and smoked paprika. Pour it slowly into the soup pot. Add in vegetable broth and increase the temperature to high.
Bring the soup to a boil, and then reduce it to simmer for around 20 minutes, uncovered. This will get the flavors a chance to really pop and harmonize with each other. Meanwhile, cook the noodles according to package instructions**.
Add in the sugar snap peas 1-2 minutes before serving. Taste the soup and season with salt. Enjoy this lemongrass noodle soup with noodles, chopped cilantro, spring onions, sesame seeds and toasted coconut flakes. I toast coconut in a dry pan for a few minutes, until you see small brown patches.
* Make your own vegan: version from Minimalist Baker
Buy vegan: Thai Kitchen Green Curry Paste
** If you want it vegan, go for rice noodles or vermicelli noodles, if not I really like to use egg noodles in this dish.
Did you make it? I'd love to see, tag me @thegingerwithspice on Instagram!
Author: Stine Mari from Ginger with Spice
Adapted from: Well Fed Soul