These serrano ham and mozzarella pita pizzas are a quick and easy lunch or dinner, when you don’t have time to make your own pizza dough or have leftover pitas (like I had). The deep flavored and salty serrano ham, mild and milky mozzarella with the savory za’atar spice blend, this is a fulfilling and tasty meal. Adding some spinach or arugula to omph up the freshness.
I’m kind of a little behind schedule now. There has been great weather here the past three-four days and it’s impossible to sit at the computer while the sun is shining outside and it’s hot enough to get your shorts out and sandals on. Soo, I have not done as much as I should have been doing, but that’s just how it has to be. The weather here is extremely shifting and usually bad in some sort, so when it’s good for a change, we drop all our to-do lists and run out the door.
But I also love this blog and I want to share with you all the delicious food I’m eating. So I’m back now and ready to give you some love with these yummy serrano ham and mozzarella pita pizzas!
Serrano Ham and Mozzarella Pita Pizzas with Za’atar and Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto
So, I googled serrano ham and then I read that serrano ham wasn’t that normal in the US? Am I misunderstanding something? Because I see it everywhere here in Norway, in the ham section or in the tapas section of the grocery stores. It’s a great ham cured in the country air, giving it a deep and flavorful aroma. This made me sound reeally snobby, you can of course use any kind of ham you want. But ham can be many different things. I also use the Norwegian Strandaskinke, prosciutto or other similar kinds. They all are great. I’m sure you could even put pepperoni or chorizo on and it will be good.
Sun-dried tomato pesto
The tomato sauce was made with things I just had laying around, and as I had just made a delicious batch of sun-dried tomato pesto, so this was a natural choice. You don’t have to make this pesto to make delicious serrano ham and mozzarella pita pizzas, but it’s a nice touch with the sun-dried tomatoes and pine nuts. The flavor will be rounder and more complex, but sometimes we just need it to be quick and easy. Your call. Delicious nevertheless.
Homemade za’atar mixed with olive oil is a great way to add flavor to the pizzas, and it also provides more of a moist dressing feeling to it. How do you explain that? Hmm. Anyway, the beauty of drizzling it over after it’s baked is that you can drizzle as much or as little as you want on every pita, as they are portion sized. Perfect when making it with picky kids! Or adults… (Here’s a store bought if you can’t make your own.)
And it’s so easy
Just mix all the ingredients for the tomato sauce in a small bowl (tomato puree through garlic powder). Spread on top of four pitas. Chop up vegetables of choice, I had onion and red peppers, but squash and mushrooms would also be good. Sprinkle on top. Add the fresh mozzarella cheese and the ham.
Bake in the oven at 200C (400F) for around 9 minutes, until nice and crispy pitas with melted mozzarella. In a small bowl, whisk together 1 tsp of za’atar with 2 tbsp of olive oil and drizzle as much or as little as you want on top of the pitas. Sprinkle with chili flakes and serve with fresh arugula or spinach.
Other easy dinners:
- Chinese Sesame Fried Rice
- Vegan Thai Lemongrass Noodle Soup
- Middle Eastern Pizza with Minced Beef and Mint
- Mango Chipotle Quinoa Bowl with Optional Lime Chicken
- Curry Coconut Carrot Soup
Hope you’ll like it! Tell me what you think, either in the comment section below, or tag me @thegingerwithspice on Instagram. Don’t forget to Pin it for later!
In order to keep the blog up and running this post contains affiliate links, it will be at no extra cost to you, please read the disclosure for more information.
Serrano Ham and Mozzarella Pita Pizza with Za'atar and Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto
- 4 pitas store bought or homemade
- 2 tsp tomato puree
- 1 tbsp sun-dried tomato pesto * link in notes
- dash Sriracha sauce
- dash ketchup
- dash water until desired consistency
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 yellow onion small
- 1 tbsp red peppers chopped
- 3.5 oz fresh mozzarella 100g
- 8 slices cured ham e.g. Serrano, Prosciutto (Nor: spekeskinke)
- chili flakes to top
- 1 tsp za'atar ** link in notes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- arugula or spinach to top
- Mix all the ingredients for the tomato sauce in a small bowl (tomato puree through garlic powder). Spread on top of four pitas. Chop up vegetables of choice, I had onion and red peppers, but squash and mushrooms would also be good. Sprinkle on top. Add the fresh mozzarella cheese and the ham.
- Bake in the oven at 200C (400F) for around 9 minutes, until nice and crispy pitas with melted mozzarella.
- In a small bowl, whisk together 1 tsp of za'atar with 2 tbsp of olive oil and drizzle as much or as little as you want on top of the pitas. Sprinkle with chili flakes and serve with fresh arugula or spinach.