Everything Spice and Parmesan Crusted Grilled Cheese – it’s crunchy and salty on the outside and ooey gooey on the inside. The everything spice is filled with pungent flavors of maldon salt and garlic, and it’s a perfect combination with the cheese and bread.
This recipe is adapted from Half Baked Harvest. I had never heard of everything spice before, but now I see it everywhere. It’s a salty and garlicky spice blend that often is used as a topping on bagels. However, it’s super delicious on all kinds of bread (mm well maybe not a cinnamon roll, but you know).
Norwegian vs. American grilled cheese situation
Grilled cheeses aren’t all that popular in Norway, and they are usually made with ham too. I now appreciate the simplicity of just a grilled cheese – it is supposed to be simple. Comforting food; while the weather is raging outside, enjoy a cup of coffee, Irish Coffee or maybe an Orange Hot Chocolate, and this delicious everything spice and parmesan crusted grilled cheese.
And one thing I learned from Pinterest – Americans use grilled cheeses as a side dish to soup. I mean, how genius is that! In Norway, plain bread with butter is sufficient, but now I am always craving grilled cheese to soup. Up the comfort game!
Honestly, I am not a cheese person. I like cheese, but I don’t love cheese like some does (uhem Rachael Ray yes?). The more cheese does not make things better, but a little goes a long way. This grilled cheese has the right amount and balances the bread just right, in my opinion. Of course, add more if you want more, but this is my preference. I think it’s the parmesan everything spice crust that is the star of this show.
However, I added a little more cheese to these grilled cheese sandwiches for photographic purposes, so if you want that you add about an extra slice of cheddar cheese grated on top.
Everything Spice and Parmesan Crusted Grilled Cheese
Mix all the everything spice ingredients together and store in an airtight container. Get white or sour dough bread (I usually like whole wheat, but I find that it doesn’t work on grilled cheeses), and cut into half inch slices.
Spread butter on the outsides, sprinkle with everything spice and top with a little parmesan cheese. Press the spice and parmesan lightly onto the bread so it sticks. In the inside, just add as much cheese (Jarlsberg or cheddar) as you want, or 1/2-3/4 cup divided on two toasts like me.
Squish the two slices together and place in a medium heated non-stick pan (not necessary with butter or oil).
Medium heat will allow the slices to become crispy on the outside, but not hard, and the cheese will melt. It does take a little while, but it’s so worth it. I often like to add a lid to keep, so that the cheese melts quicker without burning the crust.
Once the bread is as crispy as you want, you might want to press it down a little with a spatula, to incorporate the cheese a little into the bread. Or you can use a toast maker, the choice is completely yours.
Grilled cheeses are all about simplicity, remember.
Serve with roasted tomato soup (recipe will be up this week!), pumpkin sage brown butter soup or simply on their own.
More toasts and easy comfort food:
- Roasted Tomato Soup (recipe will be up this week, sign up to my newsletter to get it to your inbox)
- Pumpkin Sage Brown Butter Soup
- Chinese Sesame Fried Rice
I’d love some feedback! Either in the comment section below, or tag me @thegingerwithspice on Instagram. And don’t forget to Pin it for later!
In order to keep the blog up and running this post may contain affiliate links, it will be at no extra cost to you, please read the disclosure for more information.
This recipe was originally published April 10th 2018, but updated in July 2019 for better photos and content.
Everything Spice and Parmesan Crusted Grilled Cheese
- 4 slices white or sourdough bread 1/2 inch thick
- 1/2 - 2/3 cup Jarlsberg or cheddar cheese grated. 120-170g
- 2 tbsp butter for spreading
- 2 tbsp Parmesan cheese grated
- 2 tbsp Everything Spice see below
- 3 tbsp poppy seeds
- 3 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp dried onion
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp Maldon salt or any flakey sea salt
- Make everything spice: Mix all the everything spice ingredients together, and store in an airtight container. Makes about 1/2 cup.
- Prepare parmesan crust: Get white or sour dough bread, and cut into half inch slices. Spread butter on the outsides, sprinkle with 1/2 tbsp everything spice on each outside, and sprinkle with a little parmesan cheese. Press the spice and parmesan lightly onto the bread so it sticks.
- Fill with cheese: In the inside, just add as much cheese as you want, or 1/2 cup divided on two like me. Squish the two slices together and place in a medium heated non-stick pan (not necessary with butter or oil).
- Grill the grilled cheese: Medium heat will allow the slices to become crispy on the outside, but not hard, and the cheese will melt. If you add a lid to your skillet, the cheese will melt faster, and the chance of burning your crust will therefore decrease. Once the bread is as crispy as you want, you might want to press it down a little with a spatula, to incorporate the cheese a little into the bread. You may also use a toast maker.