How many times have you thrown out your ripe bananas? Now it’s almost the other way around, I want my bananas to get brown and mushy, because now I want to make chocolate banana muffins with them. Yum. These double chocolate banana muffins are ultra fudgy and oh so moist, with a sweet banana flavor and tons of decadent chocolate!
And it’s easy. It’s mostly just mix dry ingredients, mush bananas, mix wet ingredients together and fold in the dry ingredients. I just love forgiving recipes like this. If you want other ideas as to how to use ripe bananas, I can highly recommend these healthy banana pancakes, or this Jamaican jerk quinoa bowl with fried bananas as well.
How to Store Chocolate Banana Muffins?
Usually, I make muffins with crumb toppings , and they are not so easy to store (in my opinion). However, these chocolate banana muffins were made to be ultra fudgy and moist and so a crumb topping just didn’t fit the bill this time. That only makes storage so much easier! You can keep them in an airtight container on the counter, and they will be fairly fresh for 4-5 days.
They are also great for freezing. Place them in a freezer friendly bag with the name and date on them. They will remain delicious for about 2-3 months. To re-heat you can either defrost them on the counter, or to get that warm-muffin-right-out-of-the-oven vibe, you can place them in a pre-heated oven of 300F (150C) for about 10 minutes or until warmed through.
High Quality Chocolate for High Quality Muffins
I shouldn’t be needing to say this, but high quality ingredients always yield better results. These double chocolate banana muffins rely heavily on chocolate (obviously) and so choosing a high quality chocolate bar instead of chocolate chips will make a better muffin. Actually, even these chocolate chip peanut butter cookies are in fact made with chocolate bars!
However, if chocolate chips are all you’ve got – fear not! They will still be delicious. And here’s an interesting article about which cocoa powder is best. None of these are available here, and so I always go for Regia kakaopulver, whether it’s in hot chocolates or in cakes – it is the best.
How to Make Double Chocolate Banana Muffins
Preheat the oven to 190C (375F). Line a muffin tin with paper liners. Throw the dry ingredients together in a bowl (for dramatic effect) (2). Mix melted butter and sugar until smooth (3), beat in the eggs and vanilla (4). Mash the bananas, the more mashed the smoooother the muffin (5).
Slowly begin adding the flour mixture and bananas into the sugar and egg mixture, alternating between flour and banana (6). When all the flour and bananas are incorporated, add in the chocolate chunks (7). Fill each muffin tin 2/3 full (8) and bake for around 15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out with just a few wet crumbs.
Voilà! These are amazing with a tall glass of milk or an apple caramel latte macchiato.
Did you like this recipe? Here’s more for your chocolate fix:
- White Chocolate Pumpkin Muffins with Stresuel Topping
- White Chocolate Mousse with Rose and Pistachio
- Tiramisu Cake with White Chocolate Mousse
- Dreamy Creamy Chocolate Coffee Truffles
- 4-Ingredient Almond Crunch Milk Chocolates (Krokanrull)
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Orange Dark Chocolate Cake with Buttercream Frosting
…or just search for chocolate for even more ideas!
I’d love to hear your thoughts. Comment below or tag me @thegingerwithspice on Instagram. And don’t forget to Pin it for later! To make sure you’re never missing another recipe, please feel free to subscribe to my newsletter. As a thanks you will receive a free e-cookbook Travels Through the Seasons, with many delicious recipes from around the world that suit different seasons of the year.
In order to keep the blog up and running this post may contain affiliate links, it will be at no extra cost to you, please read the disclosure for more information.
This recipe was originally published on Aug 18th 2017, but updated on Mar 30th 2020 for better photos and content.
Super Moist Double Chocolate Banana Muffins
- 4 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder 30g
- 1 1/4 cup all purpose flour 155g
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup melted butter 65g
- 2/3 cups sugar 135g
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 large, ripe bananas
- 7 oz dark chocolate 200g (Sometimes I go for 250g/9oz too!)
- Preparations: Preheat the oven to 190C (375F) and line a muffin tin with paper liners.
- Dry ingredients: In a medium bowl, mix unsweetened cocoa powder, flour, baking powder and salt together. Set aside.
- Wet ingredients: In a large bowl, whisk melted butter and sugar until smooth and then add in the vanilla and eggs.
- Mash bananas: Use a fork or something like it to mash the bananas. The more mashed, the smoother the texture of the muffin.
- Fold into the wet ingredients: Alternating between the banana mixture and the flour mixture, slowly start adding them into the wet mixture.
- Double the chocolate: When everything is incorporated, start to fold in the chocolate chips (or chopped chocolate bars).
- Bake: Fill each muffin liner 2/3 full and bake for around 15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out with just a few moist crumbs. Cool for 5 minutes in muffin tin before completely cooling on a wire rack.